Monday, April 27, 2009

Mind Control



So I was writing my friend Brent, in response to his blog titled, "Are you offline" at: http://www.pleadthecause.org/v2/index.php?c=home&type=menu&section=21~blog. As I continued the thought it seemed like it might an interesting topic to post on here and see if you people have any thoughts on the subject.


"... read your blog on technology and the web vs time in his presence. I think you're right on. I set up imeem (internet playlists) to play music every morning when I do my devotions, and it's tempting to log on to facebook, or to check emails before seeking the Lord. But I've disciplined myself to push my desires aside so I'm able to focus. But then find that after I've spent my time with the Lord, I can almost get the idea that, now I can spend the rest of my day however I want (web, tv, movies) because I've already spent time w/ Jesus. I constantly need to remind myself that I walk with him, throughout my whole day and that there's so much more to be had in relationship with him. Not to short change myself by cutting off the communication after that short time in the morning.


BUT... I also had some thoughts on the subject in a different light, sorry if this isn't interesting to you and I'm going on, but I thought it was.


I recently read an article on "walk throughs" of video games. There was a video game producer who was encouraging players to not use walk throughs (an online guide giving step by step instructions for how to beat the game, contributed to by many different users with helpful tips and tricks) to cheat their way through the game. He made the game difficult on purpose but not impossible so people would have to work through the puzzle. BUT w/ online walk through postings, his game was cracked with in a couple days of it being released because thousands of users from all over the world contributed. Instead of one mind taking months to figure out this puzzle, thousands of minds working together solved it in days.


Also, yesterday a film casting director that I follow on twitter, who has over a thousand followers, sent out a message saying, "I can't remember, who do I know in New Jersey? Help me tweeples." Within minutes she had her answer.


With this connectedness of minds, I can totally see how learning and knowledge will accelerate. And this is just the beginning. As time goes on it will only get faster, multiplying itself. Impossible puzzles in science and technology may be solved faster and faster. Kind of a crazy thought as to where this could all lead."

4 comments:

Lindsay said...

What? Nobody else reads wired magazine? I guess this is a conversation to keep contained to my time w/ Jasper and Micah...

Lindsay said...

Don't make fun of me just because I believe in science...

Brent said...

For sure I think the world continues to grow smaller and smaller because of the world-wide-web. I can sit in my house in Uganda and stay in touch with the entire world by staring at my computer screen for hours on end. Because I'm only concerned with expanding the Kingdom, I'm looking for ways to harness this amazing connectivity we're experiencing today. I want to use my "online presence" to influence others for Jesus as much as I can, in addition to keeping Him not only the priority of my life, but the all in all!

Anonymous said...

i liked it!